The prestigious SA Young Wine Show, dating back to 1833, showcases the best wines of a current vintage. 186 wines were entered from the Robertson Wine Valley for their regional Young Wine Show. The winners were announced on Thursday, 15 August, at the astonishing Lord’s Wines venueproudly sponsored by JF Hillebrand. Local wine producers from the valley entered and received amazing results with7 gold, 88 silver and 45 bronze. With 45 class winners.
This award ceremony is still a highlight in the social wine calendar in the Robertson region and give winemakers and cellar workers the opportunity to exchange tips of the trade. A total of 20 trophies were obtained by 7 large and long-established names, alongside a few comparative newcomers.
This year’s champions, Bon Courage Estate,triumphed with nine accolades, for varietals; Semillon, Colombar, Port, Shiraz, Edellaatoes and Chenin Blanc. The team victoriously took home the Laffort trophy for Best 5 nominated wines and the JF Hillebrand trophy for overall winner of the night.
Ashton Winery took home 5 wins consisting of Merlot, Dry Red and White and Other Red and White categories.
Bonnievale Wines obtained 2 champion trophies for sweet white and Cabernet Sauvignon with Rooiberg Winery for Muscadel, McGregor Winery for Pinotage and Langverwacht Winery for Chardonnay boasting with a trophy each. New comers, Jan Harmsgat took home the new Diam trophy for Pinot Noir.The results reveal a fascinating mix of those honoured, who are making a mark with their noteworthy young wines.
The prestigious Pon van Zyl trophy, dating back to 1987, was awarded to Carel van der Merwe from SAWIS. This award honours a person who has made a notable contribution to the Robertson wine industry.
Thank you to our sponsors; JF Hillebrand, Imvusa, Vinochem, Anchor Yeast and African Cellar Suppliers.
Here are the Champion winners of the year:
- Bon Courage Trophy for Cabernet Sauvignon – Bonnievale WInes
- CJ Petrow Trophy for Chenin Blanc – Bon Courage Estate
- De Wetshof trophy for Chardonnay – Langverwacht Winery
- Imvusa Stainless steel Trophy for Sauvignon Blanc–Bon Courage Estate
- Infigro Trophy for Pinotage – McGregor Wines
- Johan de Wet Trophy for Other White Wine – Ashton WInery
- Mountain River Trophy for Dry White – Ashton Winery
- Overberg Trophy for Muscadel – Rooiberg Wines
- Pon van Zyl trophy for Colombar – Bon Courage Estate
- Rietvallei Trophy for Sweet White – Bonnievale Wines
- Ritter Stainless steel trophy for Port – Bon Courage Estate
- Roelou Barry trophy for Noble late harvest – Bon Courage Estate
- Robertson Wine Valley for Other Red – Ashton Winery
- RX SA trophy for Merlot – Ashton Winery
- Metropolitan trophy for Semillon - Bon Courage Estate
- Standard Bank trophy for Shiraz – Bon Courage Estate
- Vinochem trophy for Dry Red – Ashton Winery
- Diam trophy for Pinot Noir – Jan Harmsgat
- Lafffort Trophy for Best 5 nominated wines – Bon Courage Estate
- JF Hillebrand for Robertson Champion Wine – Bon Courage Estate